The Health Benefits of Movies

14:47 11/08/2022

Anonymous31944527

Threads: 3

Do you like watching movies and/or television? And how often have you heard that spending too much time watching TV or movies is bad for your health? Most likely, a lot. What if I were to tell you that might not be the whole story.

I love going to the movies and I truly believe that television is one of the loves of my life. I get really into shows, and I am a chronic binger. For me, watching movies and TV is one of the best ways for me to rest and relax. Although I can see some ways in which it may lead to bad habits, I have never felt that enjoying this form of entertainment was in and of itself unhealthy. 

Guess what? Some recent research just backed up my thoughts and have demonstrated a few potential health benefits of going to the movies. 

Movies and TV’s Unhealthy Reputation 

In the wellness world, sometimes I feel as though I will be kicked out as an expert for admitting my adoration for the cinematic arts. Although the people I interact with are lovely, there are times where I have felt shamed for my movie-loving, which may or may not be something stemming from my own insecurities. 

This is because movies and TV watching is often associated with being too sedentary or opting for poor food choices. In a nutshell, it is often associated with overall "unhealthy" lifestyle behaviors and thereby a reputation for being unhealthy.

But I always felt that movies and television were wrongly maligned. While there are some behaviors associated with watching TV and movies that could negatively impact health, such as increased blue light exposure, lack of movement, and mindless snacking, association does not mean causation. 

So, Are Movies Really Bad for Your Health?

I have long held a hypothesis that mindfully watching television or movies, and by that, I mean fully immersing oneself in the experience, can be health-promoting, not destructive. It can provide stress relief, escapism, a way to get out of a routine and relax. And it may have a benefit to heart health, emotional health, mental health, and more.

Additionally, movies and television offer social interactions and connections, a vital component of overall health and wellbeing. The social benefits occur whether you watch something together or just talk about it later. How many office water cooler conversations involve popular culture? It's a great way to fit into the company culture. I know I have many conversations with friends about our theories of what will happen next on our favorite TV show or debriefing after watching a movie, and I'm sure you do, too, if you count TV and movie watching as one of your hobbies.

Study on the Health Benefits of Going to the Movies 

So, why am I bringing all of this up? Well, I feel vindicated by a recent study: researchers from the University College London found that going to a movie provides a heart rate increase similar to 40 minutes of low-impact cardio along with other health benefits. 

In the study, the researchers found that detailed that going to the movie theater to see the film made a huge difference because there were no distractions, allowing the audience to be more immersed in the experience. The audience watched the live-action Aladdin, and those who were in the movie theater experienced a change in their heartbeats to a “healthy heart zone” or 40 to 80 percent of the maximum rate, which is similar to gardening or a brisk walk. 

The researchers also postulated that paying attention to the plot without being distracted could provide cognitive benefits, such as helping strengthen problem-solving skills. This type of activity is especially beneficial in a world filled with distractions, multi-tasking, and multiple screens.

There was also synchronization of heartbeats of the audience, allowing for positive social connectedness and greater bonding, which could also help to reduce feelings of loneliness and depression. 

Add onto that the opportunities for socializing before and after the movie, whether you go with a friend, partner, family member, or group. Or, if you go solo to the theater (which I often do), you also have the opportunity to socialize when talking about the movie at a later time. 

Additional Research into Physical Reactions to Movies

This is not the only study to show that our bodies physically react to movies. Studies on horror movies have also found impacts on heart rate. One study found that observing a fictitious stressful event for the first time (the 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre film) led to higher leukocyte numbers, an increase in heart rate, and an increase in blood pressure, similar to what would occur when experiencing a real-life stressful event. 

Another study found heart rate changes linked to empathy and emotive states when watching The Impossible, which ultimately demonstrated a non-uniformity to complex social stimuli like movies. It also shows that movies can stimulate emotional and empathetic responses similarly to real-life situations. Another study found that watching a horror movie led to increased platelet reactivity which is associated with the risk of an acute stress cardiovascular event (basically an increased risk of a heart attack from the stress of a horror movie).

11/09/2022

Anonymous31944527

Threads: 3

Hi there. Movies have always been a staple of entertainment. Whether you curl up on the couch after a long day with a romantic comedy, or hit the theaters over the weekend to catch that blockbuster hit, there’s no denying that movies are and always will be a huge part of our life. And of course they impact us. I like films, especially with https://freehdvideos.xxx/video/6ca372d29d2e321e25d0a7a6458d7995/ Sheila Ortega. What do you think about her role play? Any ideas?,
Edited by Anonymous31944527 on 11/09/2022 14:26

12/06/2022

Anonymous31941009

Threads: 0

Nice Topic!

Aqib Garden is a brilliant housing project for residential purposes as well with respect to wander purposes.  Aqib Garden Lahore The payment plan of Aqib Garden is really versatile and one can without a very remarkable stretch book his/her residential plot for 16% booking total.

12/06/2022

Anonymous31941009

Threads: 0

Edited by Anonymous31941009 on 12/06/2022 02:35